Earthquake Insurance

Earthquake Insurance

The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) provides majority of the earthquake insurances in California. CEA offers earthquake policies for homeowners, mobile homeowners, condo unit owners, and renters. You cannot buy earthquake insurance directly from CEA. You must buy it directly from insurance companies that are members of CEA.

You must have a residential property insurance policy in place to get a CEA earthquake policy. You must purchase your CEA policy from the same insurance company that you have your residential policy.

There are three main parts of the basic earthquake coverage offered by CEA:

  • Dwelling coverage: The limit on your earthquake insurance is the same as the limit on your homeowners’ insurance (dwelling coverage). CEA offers deductibles of 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, and 25%. Furthermore, you do not have to pay your CEA deductible up front to receive a claim check (the amount deducted from your total covered losses). As with most earthquake policies, CEA insurance does not cover landscaping, pools, fences, masonry, or separate buildings. Exterior masonry veneer is not covered unless you add that coverage to your CEA policy. If you are renting from someone else or own a condo, you do not need this coverage.
  • Personal property coverage: This coverage will cover items in your home such as furniture, TVs, and computers. The limit starts at $5,000 and you can increase the limit to $200,000. Items, like china and crystals, are covered if you purchase an optional breakables coverage.
  • Additional living expenses or loss of use: Earthquake insurance will cover temporary and extra costs to live somewhere else while your area is evacuated, or your home is repaired. The insurance can also cover the temporary rental of a home, apartment, or hotel room, restaurant meals, a temporary telephone line, moving and storage, furniture rental, and laundry. This coverage is bound to a reasonable time needed to repair the home, or for you to move to another permanent home. The limit ranges from $1,500 to $100,000. This coverage never has a deductible under CEA.

Earthquake insurance does not cover:

  • Fire
  • Land (sink holes from erosion or other hidden openings under the land)
  • Vehicles
  • Flood

Please setup an appointment or call us at 209-400-9785 to review your policy or insurance need with us. You can also get a free quote by filling up the following form:

Get Your Free Quote Today

Your message has been sent. Thank you!